What is the Batman/Cooper Stronger Communities Grant?
The 2018 Batman/Cooper Stronger Communities Program (SCP) offers grants of between $2,500 and $20,000 to community organisations and local governments for small capital projects that improve community participation and contribute to the vibrancy of our community in Melbourne’s North. To be eligible for a SCP grant, applicants are required to match SCP grants in cash or in-kind on at least a dollar for dollar basis. Total funding for the project from the Commonwealth cannot exceed 50 per cent of the total project cost.
Up to $150,000 will be allocated to projects within Batman/Cooper on the advice of a Community Consultation Committee who will review all applications. Successful applications are then submitted to a Government body for review and final sign off.
Examples of successful applications in previous rounds of the SCP in Batman/Cooper include:
- Electronic scoreboard, Northcote Cricket Club - $17,489
- Kitchen and facilities refurbishment, Greek Community of Northcote - $10,000
- Musical instruments, Australian Syrian Charity Inc. - $14,000
- Outdoor shade area, Darebin Creek Management Committee - $4,450
Key eligibility criteria
- The organisation must be based in the Batman/Cooper electorate. You can find more information here: https://www.aec.gov.au/profiles/vic/cooper.htm
- The organisation must have an ABN
- The organisation must be one of the following:
- an incorporated non-profit organisation
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust with responsibility for a community asset or property
- a local government body
- The grant must be used towards capital works or capital assets, i.e the grant cannot be used to pay salaries for the provision of a community program.
- Your organisation must be willing to match the funds requested either with funds or in-kind support.
For further information on eligibility please visit the website: https://www.business.gov.au/assistance/stronger-communities-programme
Raising matching funds can be a challenge for any organisation, but my office is here to help you and to support you in meeting this program requirement (for example past applicants have successfully used crowdfunding campaigns to raise in-kind contributions for this program).
What is the process?
After organisations have made an application, all applications will be considered by the Batman/Cooper Stronger Communities Selection Committee.
Organisations will be informed of the outcome by mid-September 2018.
Successful applicants will then be invited to apply for final funding approval.
For more information see here https://www.business.gov.au/assistance/stronger-communities-programme
How to apply?
EOI applications can be completed in the form below and are open now until 5pm Friday 7 September 2018.
In addition to the below application, please include:
- A project plan
- Evidence of matched funds or matched in-kind donations. (Bank statement, fundraising plan or a document which outlines in-kind donations to be made)
We encourage you to put as much detail in your application as possible.
The supporting documents can be sent to [email protected] with the subject heading SCP 2018 – [ORGANISATION NAME] Supporting Documents by the application closing date.
Who should I contact, if I have any questions?
You can contact my office by phone at 9416 8690 or email [email protected] if you have any questions about the program or the application process.