I promised you that I would fight hard for a more humane refugee policy and a better deal for asylum seekers. With a huge amount of support from my electorate and beyond, Labor has committed to end indefinite detention, urgently resettle refugees remaining on Manus and Nauru and make a real difference for people seeking asylum in Australia. If elected, just some of the great things Labor will do include:
- Provide medical evacuation for all who need it, and their families, from Manus and Nauru.
- Agree to New Zealand’s offer of permanent resettlement places.
- Increase Australia’s annual refugee intake including through a community sponsored refugee program intake of 5000 places per year.
- Provide a funding boost of $500 million for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
- End all temporary protection visas, offering permanent protection to refugees.
- Provide appropriate social services for people seeking asylum.
- Ensure all policies have a strong commitment to family reunions.
- Make refugee assessment fairer by abolishing the flawed fast track scheme.