Every day I hear from people who are struggling to make ends meet, who are working harder, but are not being fairly rewarded for their efforts.
The Liberals have done nothing to address low wages and insecure work. They have cut services we reply on and allowed living costs to skyrocket.
I’ve spent my whole life fighting for others – first at the Nurses’ Union and then at the ACTU, and now as your MP.
In this election, I’m fighting for a better wages and secure jobs for our workers.
Labor has a plan to get wages moving and ensure secure jobs. We will:
- Ensure the minimum wage is a living wage.
- Give workers a tax break – of up to $1,080 each year.
- Restore penalty rates for up to 13,000 workers in Cooper.
- Give long-term casuals the right to request permanent employment after 12 months with the same employer.
- Get tougher on wage theft, with significantly higher
penalties and enforcement.
- Crack down on dodgy labour hire companies that rip off
workers - ensuring the same job, same pay principle.
- Focus on skills and jobs in Cooper including funding for
a design engineering centre at Melbourne Polytechnic
in Preston, a nursing simulation lab at Latrobe University
and a STEAM Innovation Centre at NCAT in Preston.
- Overhaul the 457-style visa system so that it isn’t cheaper
to pay an overseas worker than to pay a local worker.
- Introduce a tradie pay guarantee to protect sub-contractors working on Government projects from being left unpaid when dodgy businesses go bust.
- Take action to close the gender pay gap.
Only a Labor Government will bring back fairness, deliver secure jobs and a living wage.