The stories and evidence of shocking neglect and appalling standards of care revealed by the Aged Care Royal Commission were truly horrifying. For years the Liberals failed to stop this crisis. Under the Albanese Labor Government, we have a plan to fix aged care.
We’re going to:
- Put a registered nurse on site 24/7.
- Increase the time of care for every resident
- Provide residents with better food with new standards
- Deliver a pay rise for aged care workers
- Make sure care providers report their spending, ensuing accountability and transparency of every taxpayer dollar.
As a former nurse and head of the Nurses’ Union, I’ve spent a large part of my career fighting for a better aged care system. I’ve been saying for decades that we need regulated staffing levels, proper skill mix of professionals and better pay and training for staff. We need to make aged care providers accountable for the government funding they receive so we know it is being spent on quality care and not maximising profits.
As Assistant Minister for Health and Aged Care, I’ve listened to the stories of aged care residents, their loved ones, carers and workers in the system.